Monday, January 9, 2012

Just a very quick one, today.

I had a conversation, last week, with an old friend, who was bemoaning the fact that he's losing touch with friends, as time goes by.  It occurred to me how very lucky I am to have maintained a lot of long time friendships, some reaching back 30-50 years, but it has taken a little effort; not much, but a little, and I can't begin to tell you how valuable they are.   It is amazing to me, when I get to talk to them, how easily the rapport is re-established, and it's almost like no time has gone by; that although there are new things in each of our lives, that we really are the same people as we were, "back in the day".

Yesterday, I made a 300 mile round trip, to celebrate the birthdays of 2 guys that I worked with for 6 years, starting back in '92, at a compact disc store called Silver Platters, a job which, other than teaching guitar, is the best I've ever had, simply because 3 of the 8 people that I worked with, became "extended family", and although we only see each other once or twice a year, it's always a great time.

Remember, you don't get to choose your family, but you do get to choose your friends, and they are to be treasured!




No comments: