Monday, February 13, 2012

Another reason for term limits!

You know, just when you think that maybe the politicians have gotten the message (Jan. 22 post), and you feel a little bit better about our "representative form of government", something like this happens:  http://tinyurl.com/86roesy  Basically, it says that Harry Reid (Democrat and Senate Majority Leader) has not only not gotten the message, but is going to push for any even stronger bill!  So, stay on your toes, and stay informed, and do not give up, folks; "Eternal Vigilance" is the message of the day, and really, if you take 15 minutes a week to keep yourself up to date on what ever issues you care about; that's 1/96 of a day!  Not much of an investment, is it?

If you are one of the naive who still don't believe our government would not lie to us, I present these 2 articles on what is going on in Afghanistan:  http://tinyurl.com/73by8jr and http://armedforcesjournal.com/2012/02/8904030 , about the views of Lt. Col. Daniel L. Davis, in direct opposition to the positive spin which our government presents to us.  Note that no action has been taken against him by the U.S. Army, but a spokesman for the Army dismissed his report by saying (paraphrased), "Well, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. . ."

While doing research on the National Defense Authorization Act, I touched base with an old school mate of mine, a Marine who served in Vietnam, who went on to become a well respected lawyer, in Las Vegas.  While David Rivers is a bit to the right of me, politically, he and I do see eye-to-eye on this subject, and he steered me to the Oath Keepers' site (http://oathkeepers.org/oath/ ), which is an organization of "non-partisan association of currently serving military, veterans, peace officers, and firefighters".  Part of their oath is, "Our oath is to the Constitution, not to the politicians, and we will not obey unconstitutional (and thus illegal) and immoral orders, such as orders to disarm the American people or to place them under martial law and deprive them of their ancient right to jury trial."  I strongly urge you to visit their site!

A postscript to my last post about ramping up for military action against Iran:  http://tinyurl.com/79pfxem and a cautionary "tale" from the poet laureate of my generation, Bob Dylan, "Masters Of War", performed by Leslie West and Ozzy (a very different version!):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYaEtijdSrg  I heard it last night while I was listening to "Coast to Coast AM" (google it!), a late night nationally syndicated program (around 550 stations!), which I've been listening to, off and on, since around 1988, when Art Bell was the host, and who has been since been replaced.  On most Saturday nights, John B. Wells sits in the "captain's seat", and the guy has the most magnificent set of "pipes" that I've ever heard!

As I'm sure you're aware, we lost a major musical talent on Saturday, but if you've passed through the grocery store check lines in the last 15 years, I'm sure that the death of Whitney Houston, at age 48, did not come as a surprise.  I was not a big fan of Whitney's, but this morning I heard her version of the Star Spangled Banner, at the 1991 Superbowl, and I was blown away; I don't believe I've ever heard it done better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE  After all the deaths of musicians, artists and movie stars over the last 50 years, and despite my psychology background, I still do not understand how or why these people continue to get caught up in drugs and/or alcohol. . . It's just sad, and I can't help but feel that the world is being robbed of so many of their potential contributions. 


 

No comments: